More Recent Comments

Friday, June 13, 2008

Alex Palazzo in Toronto

 
Alex Palazzo of The Daily Transcript has been in Toronto for the past few days. We were able to get together for lunch on Wednesday and for some light liquid refreshments on Wednesday evening. It should come as no surprise that we were able to find several things we agree on and several more that we don't. It was a lot of fun. (I made a bet with Alex on Wednesday evening. He'll reveal it on his blog. He will lose.)

Yesterday's departmental seminar was very impressive. Alex has a nice story to tell about targeting mRNA to the endoplasmic reticulum. He has also discovered an unusual pathway for exporting certain mRNAs from the nucleus. This pathway seems to be specific for those mRNAs that encode secreted proteins.

I think everyone in the department was impressed. Maybe he'll be my colleague next year.


2 comments :

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked the talk. I had a fantastic time at UofT - I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

As for the bet, no matter what happens it will be good excuse to meetup again over a couple of beers. (Either to console me or to celebrate VICTORY!)

Larry Moran said...

Alex says,

Either to console me or to celebrate VICTORY!

I intend to do both! :-)