More Recent Comments

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Who's Afraid of Bisphenol A?

 
The latest issue of the Tangled Bank points to an article on Giovanna Di Sauro about the dangers of bisphenol A. Recall that bisphenol A is a chemical found in polycarbonate drinking bottles [see Is Your Water Bottle Killing You?].

The first article outlines the chemistry of bisphenol A and its effect on mammalina cells. It refers to the latest papers that have prompted a ban on bisphenol A [Who's Afraid of Bisphenol A: (Part 1)].

The second article discusses whether bisphenol A is dangerous to humans. Can it cause cancer? [Who's Afraid of Bisphenol A: (Part 1)].

I won't tell you the conclusion because, if I did, you wouldn't read the excellent articles on Giovanna Di Sauro. But here's a teaser ...
Making decision in relation to BPA is made even more complicated by the fact that there are many estrogen-like compounds in our environment which are already in the food chain, and which we can absorb by consuming both animal and vegetable products: BPA absorption might only be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to xenoestrogen intake. It would be useful to see what the "total xenoestrogen insult" is in an average adult who consumes meat, vegetables and dairy, and to see what role BPA is playing to increase this insult. Only then we will be able to assess whether cancer risk arising from BPA ingestion is significant, or whether we would do better to worry about different sources of xenoestrogen.


4 comments :

Anonymous said...

Damn, first soy, now Nalgene bottles?

Anonymous said...

I'm asthmatic: breathing is sometimes an activity that I really wish were optional. I also suffer severe allergies that 7 years of shots did very little to combat. I'm overweight, fighting a battle with my body that began before I was old enough to attend kindergarten. On good days, when I can breathe, I'll take my Nalgene liter bottle of water and go for a long walk in one of the county parks surrounding my suburban city.

Screw it. I'll be done out of old age by my recalcitrant lungs, overactive immune system, and excess of fat cells. I am NOT giving up my Nalgened-water-fueled hikes.

Anonymous said...

Well Karen, that is the same thing that smokers say. Though, of course, the evidence implicating smoking in promoting lung cancer is by now basically incontrovertible - while evidence that BPA might be involved in carcinogenesis is mounting, but definitely not as solid.

Larry, I am glad you liked my posts. There is so much controversy on BPA, I thought it would be nice to have some unbiased, more comprehensive article to read somewhere on the web!

Anonymous said...

Try switching the Nalgene to a bpa-free substitute like Camelbak or the TITAN http://best.waterbottle.ever.com/