More Recent Comments

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Jury Duty: Day 1

 
The summons from the Ministry of the Attorney General said to show up at 9AM or else I would be liable to the penalties provided by the juries act of Canada.

It warned me that parking might be a problem so I arrived early. The security was just like airport security except that this time there really were criminals in line with me. We were ushered into a large room that looked like the kind of waiting room you see in a bus terminal. I had to swear that there was nothing I knew of that would prevent me from serving on a jury. I am juror #13522 on Panel #14.

Thanks to the warning about parking, I was in time to get the last carrel on the side of the room and set up my laptop. The time was exactly 8:50AM. At 10AM a Sheriff's Officer showed up looking all official-like. She announced that they had nothing for us today. Come back tomorrow at 9AM.

Oh yes, don't forget that you may have trouble finding a parking place.

1 comment :

Nandes said...

Larry,

Here is s sure-fire way to beat Jury Duty every time:

When you're called up to face the defendant - nod.

Just the slightest nod and if the crown is watching they'll deny you as a juror.

worked for me.