More Recent Comments

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Lunch with the Winners

 
I just got back from lunch with the winners of the Monday Molecule/Nobel Laureate quiz. The two winners were Alex Ling and Dave Schuller. Alex is a student at the University of Toronto. Unfortunately he had to rush off to a class before I could get my camera ready. Maybe I can borrow the photo that Dave took and post it later on.

Dave Schuller is an X-ray crystallographer from Cornell working in the group that manages the synchrotron [MacCHESS]. He decided to drive up from Cornell this morning to have lunch with us. Right now he's on his way back with a stop at McMaster University in Hamilton. Maybe that's why he looks a little dazed in the picture.  

Dave brought me a mastodon from the Natural History Museum at Cornell. He also brought me some Bible Flash Cards so I can practice memorizing my Bible Stories. Here's an example ....

Q: Where did God ask Abraham to go?
A: Isreal, but it took 25 years of traveling to get there.

Some of the other questions were much more difficult. How many of you can remember how Ruth cared for Naomi or where the Last Supper was held? I didn't know the answer to those ones but thanks to Dave Schuller I do now.


3 comments :

i said...

Bible Study for Atheists:
http://bs4a.blogspot.com/

-- an interesting resource

Anonymous said...

The answer to that question is wrong, as can clearly be seen -Israel is a name for Abraham's grandson Jacob. It is not even clearly stated that God asked Abraham (Abram at that date) actually to go to Canaan. although God said "stop" when Abram got there.
Internet gives King James version:
1: Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
2: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
3: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.
4: So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.
5: And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came.

Timothy V Reeves said...

I don't think Dave is dazed - he's just got what it takes to be a crystallographer: X-ray eyes.

Heck, I am going to have to watch my step if you're getting up to speed on the Bible. No more making it up as I go along!