More Recent Comments

Monday, July 30, 2007

Monday's Molecule #37

 
Today's molecule looks complicated but it has a very simple name. The short common name of this molecule is not sufficient—you have to supply the correct biochemical name that distinguishes this molecule from similar ones found inside all cells. You're more than welcome to supply the complete IUPAC name if you know it.

There's an indirect connection between this Monday's Molecule and Wednesday's Nobel Laureate(s).

The reward (free lunch) goes to the person who correctly identifies the molecule and the Nobel Laureate(s). Previous free lunch winners are ineligible for one month from the time they first collected the prize. There's only one (Marc) ineligible candidates for this Wednesday's reward since many recent winners haven't collected their prize. The prize is a free lunch at the Faculty Club.

Comments will be blocked for 24 hours. Comments are now open.

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

The structure is definitely haem (heme), technical name of which is Fe(II)-protoporphyrin IX. Now since you have already done away with Hans Fischer, the noble laureate could be Max Perutz & John Kendrew.????

Larry Moran said...

Correct!!

Meet me at my office on Thursday at 12 noon for your free lunch.

RSVP by Wednesday.

Congratulations.

P.S. I notice you didn't post the IUPAC name. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Again raincheck on that. Will be in U of T next month. I have one lunch due from past too ;-)
Frankly speaking I did not know the IUPAC name until I googled,
- 3,7,12,17-tetramethyl-8,13-divinylporphyrin-2,18-dipropanoato(2−)]iron(II)
Quiet complicated!!

Anonymous said...

I got one right!

Though I thought that you'd want the specific heme and I think it's heme-B .

I didn't enter as I wouldn't want to deprive the free-lunch from someone who has more opportunity of collecting it than me as I live in Cambridge, England.