More Recent Comments

Monday, October 24, 2011

An Interview with Maarten Boudry

 
As most of you know already, I've been a big fan of Maarten Boudry ever since I first met him in Toronto a few years ago. Last year I visited him in Gent and he bought me a beer (or three). Maarten's thesis (Here be dragons) has been published on the internet. If you haven't read it by now, you're in for a treat.

Now you can hear him in person in an interview on Think Atheist: Episode 31 Dr. Maarten Boudry OCT 23, 2011.

It almost makes you want to be a philosopher.


4 comments :

Allan Miller said...

Downloaded and settling in!

even a wrong argument can point the way to a legitimate question underlying the fabric of evolutionary theory.

struck a chord - I gained what I still regard as a genuine insight from a badly-thought-out piece of reasoning by a Creationist on Talk.Origins. The way the question was phrased shouted out its own answer, a better answer than that generally given. I in consequence saw the world through dissenter's eyes, on this matter at least ...! Between 'em - the prompting of a daft question and the sometimes overdone hostility which can greet genuine curiosity - I learned a lot.

Nullifidian said...

Thanks for the link. I'll also pass this on to a friend of mine who has a layman's interest in the philosophy of science.

It seems "Here be dragons" is becoming a popular metaphor. Less than 24 hours ago, I ordered Dennis McCarthy's book on biogeography, Here Be Dragons: How the Study of Animal and Plant Distributions Revolutionized Our Views of Life and Earth (Oxford University Press, 2009).

Schenck said...

I heard about the Thesis on this website previously, downloaded and read it. It's a really fascinating set of work.

Anonymous said...

thank you for the link, I heard about him in the Jerry Coynes site and really wanted to have a look at it.