Unfortunately for Jeff, he is being subjected to a bunch of lectures from real Professors on how to rationalize belief in God with being reasonable. The latest was a lecture on God and Reason - Lecture 3 - John North - The Problem of Pain.
The argument goes like this ...
1. Assume (withou any evidence) that god(s) exist.
2. Assume (without evidence) that your favorite god is good and wouldn't allow pain.
3. Since pain exists then ...
- god is mysterious and we don't understand her motives OR
- god wants us to have free will and be capable of voluntarily choosing pain and suffering OR
- temporal pain is transitory, we will be free of pain once we reach heaven