More Recent Comments

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Shopping for Darwin

 
What's a celebration without shopping? Now you can enjoy the Darwin year celebrations by buying hundreds of Darwinian items at the Darwin Year Store. Half of the proceeds go to supporting biodiversity conservation-related charities.



I don't look good in T-shirts but there's plenty of other gifts for me on that site. All those shoppers who might be looking to buy me something for St. Patrick's day should check out the large mugs.

Some of them have even seen the very Darwin notebook where this drawing comes from, do you remember, Ms. Sandwalk? I told you it would be important to see this notebook. Now you know why.


[Hat Tip: Ryan Gregory]

3 comments :

James Goetz said...

Do you think that the commercialization of Darwin cheapens his accomplishments or does the publicity help the greater good?

Larry Moran said...

James Goetz,

Do you think that the commercialization of Darwin cheapens his accomplishments or does the publicity help the greater good?

Good question. When my friends and I wear Darwin buttons of have our picture taken with a Darwin doll [Who is this man, and why is he smiling?], we mean this to be sarcastic. In a sense we are mocking the worship of Charles Darwin. (See the "World Tour" T-shirt for a good example.)

I think most of the people I hang out with understand this. However, there are large parts of North America that seem to be ironic deficient and they may be getting a very different message.

Intelligent Design Creationist fall into this category.

The overall effect may not be what I think it is.

It doesn't matter to me personally 'cause I don't modify my life based on the views of IDiots but I can understand why others might object to the pseudo-glorification of Darwin.

James Goetz said...

Larry, I saw something silly about these things, but I did not guess that you were making fun of people who worship Charles Darwin. I had no idea what you were doing. Some of us need a little more than a sense of irony to understand this inside joke.

Anyway, this time, I have serious question. Could you please give me examples of people who you think worship Charles Darwin?