More Recent Comments

Monday, May 14, 2007

Monday's Molecule #26

 


Today's molecule is actually three molecules. Name all three. The trivial names will do since they're very well known but if you can supply the correct chemical names that would be good.

As usual, there's a connection between Monday's molecules and this Wednesday's Nobel Laureate(s). This one is even easier than last week's. The reward (free lunch) goes to the person who correctly identifies both the molecule and the Nobel Laureate(s). (Previous free lunch winners are ineligible for one month from the time they first collected the prize. There are no ineligible candidates for this Wednesday's reward since Dunbar bought me lunch on Thursday. Therefore, technically, he did not collect a prize.)

Comments will be blocked for 24 hours. Comments are now open.

7 comments :

Alex said...

I think it's Devin's turn...

Larry Moran said...

Do you think he's up to it?

Tony Jackson said...

Pyruvate goes to acetaldehyde goes to ethanol (yippee, chemistry of brewing!) Nobelist? Um…Eduard Buchner perhaps – he got it for fermentation didn’t he?

ps: isn’t your reducing equivalent in the wrong place?

Alex said...

You're probably right, pyruvate decarboxylase doesn't catalyse oxidoreduction reactions. Diagram! http://www.expasy.org/cgi-bin/show_image?E6&up

Alex said...

How coveted is a physical copy of Roche's pathway wall chart? I tried searching ebay, and came up with nothing. I could request one, but I'm not sure they'd give one to me unless I lie and say I'm an up-and-coming new investigator. And hope that they don't notice that my home address isn't UofT...

Larry Moran said...

Tony Jackson says,

Pyruvate goes to acetaldehyde goes to ethanol (yippee, chemistry of brewing!) Nobelist? Um…Eduard Buchner perhaps – he got it for fermentation didn’t he?

BINGO! You win a free lunch. Come to my office on Thursday at noon. Please RSVP by tomorrow.

Tony Jackson said...

Thanks, but I'm a long way from UofT.

It's been a while since I was last in Toronto, and don't know when I'll be there again. But if I'm passing through, I'll drop you a line... and get my free lunch!