The topic for the first meeting is "What Is Science?" Check out the facebook page at: WTF Is Science?.
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 6pm.
Room 5243, Medical Sciences Building (5th floor)
You are welcome to bring food and (non-alcoholic) drinks.
Here are some definitions of science from the Oxford English dictionary.
- The state or fact of knowing; knowledge or cognizance of something specified or implied; also, with wider reference, knowledge (more or less extensive) as a personal attribute.
- Knowledge acquired by study; acquaintance with or mastery of any department of learning. Also +pl. (a person's) various kinds of knowledge.
- A particular branch of knowledge or study; a recognized department of learning.
- In a more restricted sense: A branch of study which is concerned either with a connected body of demonstrated truths or with observed facts systematically classified and more or less colligated by being brought under general laws, and which includes trustworthy methods for the discovery of new truth within its own domain.
- The kind of knowledge or of intellectual activity of which the various `sciences' are examples. In early use, with reference to sense 3: What is taught in the schools or may be learned by study. In mod. use chiefly: The sciences (in sense 4) as distinguished from other departments of learning; scientific doctrine or investigation. Often with defining adj. as in 4 b.