More Recent Comments

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Who Put the Cephalopod in SEED Magazine?

 
SEED magazine is usually a pretty good magazine in spite of the fact that they get a few things wrong and in spite of the fact that they sponsor ScienceBlogsTM.

But enough is enough. Imagine my surprise when I opened the current issue (January/February 2008) to page 21 and saw this ugly, squishy, creature. As a (fairly) loyal reader, I've been tolerant of their graphics and images even though most of them don't make much sense. But this is way over the top. Did the editors forget that this magazine is displayed on news stands where young children might see it?

Who is responsible for this? And what can we do about it?


[Hint: The disgusting image seems to be associated with an article titled Eyeing the Evolutionary Past by Paul Z. Mierz.]

4 comments :

Glendon Mellow said...

I'm a little upset that you even typed the word c******pod in your post, Professor.

Those turgid tentacles >ugh< !

Have the Americans no decency?

Stephen Matheson said...

I dunno. Look at it again when you're really hungry.

Anonymous said...

The criticism of this orticle moy be well intentioned however more core and coution could hove been token with bosic spelling...we don't wont to upset the outher or his mony fons...ofter oll people thot live in gloss houzes...

lee_merrill said...

> ofter oll people thot live in gloss houzes...

Should not throw steins?

But the only word out of order would be I think ScienceBlogs (with or without TM), for which there should be no complaints.

Perhaps it was thought that cephalopod should be be spelled "apod" (not that I would know), but indeed it seems it's the 'o' that's correct.

Such matters are why I am a programmer and not a biologist! Biolagist? You would never know what I was talking about, even if I could remember it more or less phonetically.